postgresql and jdk1.2

Hello,

I am wondering if anybody has had luck with getting the jdk1.2 drivers
to connect to a linux postgresql 6.5 from an windoze system.  I have
been going around and around with it without any luck.  I get to the
point of trying to connect, but the passwords do not authenticate.  For
starters, I am using the example.basic that is included with the jdbc
driver for 1.2.

If some one has this working with a debian potato system, I would like
to hear from you.  I have been working with the author of the jdbc
driver and he is about to throw up his hands as the drivers works with
other linux variations.

I loaded my postgresql 6.5 from the slink archive deb files.

Thanks,

Doug