RE: SupraExpress Modem problems

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, David Karlin wrote:

> As I said in an earlier post, I installed one of these modems in a
> slink box last evening.  I think I remember a similar plog entry before
> I disabled the pnp and set the irq and com port with the jumpers.

Out of curiousity, did you properly set up the modem with isapnptools, and
then use setserial to set the irq, port, and everything?

> What seems to have been happening here was the software would send the
> initialization string (I did not change the default) but it never got
> the "OK" or whatever it was waiting for.  Once the hardware and software
> were configured properly, there was no problem at all.

i would be inclined to agree. minicom is a good tool for this problem (and
it can be fun to make your modem jump through hoops ;)

i discovered that mine (a 3Com) will return a small bit of help with AT$,
ATD$, or ATS$. And i was able to fine-tune my init string so it didn't
dial so loudly and would dial faster. And i found out which line in
ppp.log will give my connection speed.

> My modem is a Diamond Supra Express 56K V.90 (ISA), and I think it is
> the same as the original poster's.

IIRC the original poster's was an Sp, not a V.90, but in this case that
may not make much difference...