RE: SupraExpress Modem problems

> To: Julian Gilbey
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: SupraExpress Modem problems
>

> Julian writes:
> > - the /var/log/ppp.log file showed that the intial connection had
> >   been attempted, and that after precisely 45 seconds, an alarm
> >   happened and the connection attempt failed.  Nothing happened
> >   between the "expect OK" and the alarm lines in the log.

> John writes:
> Sounds like the modem did not respond to the ATZ string which is the first
> thing chat sends.  This could be because the modem is not on that port or
> because the modem is configured in an unusual way.  Try connecting to the
> modem with minicom.
> --
> John Hasler                This posting is in the public domain.
> john@dhh.gt.org            Do with it what you will.
> Dancing Horse Hill         Make money from it if you can; I don't mind.
> Elmwood, Wisconsin         Do not send email advertisements to
> this address.

Hi,
As I said in an earlier post, I installed one of these modems in a
slink box last evening.  I think I remember a similar plog entry before
I disabled the pnp and set the irq and com port with the jumpers.

What seems to have been happening here was the software would send the
initialization string (I did not change the default) but it never got
the "OK" or whatever it was waiting for.  Once the hardware and software
were configured properly, there was no problem at all.

My modem is a Diamond Supra Express 56K V.90 (ISA), and I think it is
the same as the original poster's.

--David