Re: Setting up Debian with sound

> >From the docs, it appears that my sound card has a good chance of working.
> I'm going to give compiling the kernel a shot (since I don't have spare $
> lying around). I'm going to try to find the kernel package on my Debian CD.
>
> I haven't found any reference to RTFineM in the documentation.  You mentioned
> it in your initial response.  Please let me know what I need to do in that
> regard.

:) You shouldnt find any reference to RTFM anywhere. It's an acronym that
stands for Read The Fine Manual, or more often for a more harsh form of
it.
The kernel package is in the development section of the CD. Just install
everything that is required/suggested for it (do install bin86 package,
you will need it.) Then just follow the steps of
1. cd to appropriate directory (/usr/src/kernel-*****)
2. make xconfig (after you read all the stuff. xconfig is an X interface.)
3. go through all the sections to select only the options you need (sound
adds some size to the kernel, you don't want your kernel getting too
large)
4. make dep
5. make clean (optional)
6. make zImage or make bzImage or make zDisk (	 think it's zDisk for a
boot disk).
7. I presume you have lilo, so after it compiles, you create a backup
kernel (your present kernel) and create an option in lilo.conf for it. Or
just have the boot disk ready.
8. move the kernel from /usr/src/kernel-*/arch/i386/boot/ to /boot
9. rerun lilo
10. Do the pnpdump and create an appropriate isapnp.conf file.
11. reboot and watch for sound card initialization.

Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 Scorpio@hushmail.com
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu