Re: New Users FAQ - comment?

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 08:11:17AM +1000, Carley, Jason Australia" wrote:
> I would be happy to look at putting such a list together. Essentially a Q&A
> of the most common questions asked on the list. As a relative newbie myself
> this will also help me learn more about my system. However, I may also need
> some help from the more experienced users to come up with the One True
> Answer.
>
> The sort of questions that could be answered include:
>
> How to get a TNT card working under X
>
> Where do I get KDE debs from
>
> How do I use the system help tools
>
> How do I shutdown
>
> Basics on using and setting up apt with sources.list
> etc
>
> This would allow me to cleanse my guild at commenting on debian (including
> problems) without really contributing to it. And may help ease bandwidth on
> the list.
>
> Any comments welcome.

A couple of years ago (I think) I decided to try and make a contribution
back to Debian and did it by means of the URL in my signature block.
It's a pretty complete step-by-step guide for installing hamm from
scratch (there are some slink notes there, but they are real sketchy)
and getting the applications most newbies want up and running. Note that
there are _NO_ references to X on that page, something that might be
rectified by someone such as yourself.

I got some pretty positive feedback on this page and offer it as a
possible framework for incorporating answers to the questions you've
suggested above.

Once such a page is in place, you can help a lot of folks on this list
by pointing them to a specific URL that speaks to their newbie question.

I'm sorry I haven't had time to keep the page current, but my excuse is
that I now have a real job working full time with linux that saps the
energy I used to have for doing that sort of thing.
<Sorry, gloat mode off>

Luck,
Pann
--
What's All the Buzz About Linux?                    L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\