Re: How to know latest way of doing things?

	Subject: How to know latest way of doing things?
	Date: Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 01:37:14PM -0400

Quoting Ben Cranston(zben@ni.umd.edu):
> Re: the recent exchange on how to add a new userid to a Linux system:
>
> Patrick Kirk wrote:
>
> > Thanks.  I didn't even know there was a command adduser!  Why is it better
> > than useradd?
>
> As a newby myself, this hit a nerve.  How are we to know that adduser is
> a later (therefore better) version of useradd?  That's just a guess at
> the history, but remember, there are a bunch of old documents out there
> that will still be describing the old version of things months and perhaps
> years after the gurus purge their mental caches of a "solved problem".
>
> I setup PCMCIA ether networking on my Fujitsu running Debian using the
> general network setup data in the "Running Linux" book.  It actually works,
> but it was only months later I discovered the PCMCIA package stuff that
> has a real nice automatic infrastructure for issuing the ifconfig and
> route statements that I was semimanually entering.
>
> How is a newby to know that "adduser" is preferable to "useradd" when a
> "man user" just pops both out?  How was I to know to read the PCMCIA stuff
> instead of the general networking stuff in "Running"?
>
> KUTGW

Maybe by reading the man pages for both and making the decision as to
which would be better for you.

apropos users   (edited)
addgroup (8)         - add a user or group to the system
adduser (8)          - add a user or group to the system
useradd (8)          - Create a new user or update default new user
                        information
userdel (8)          - Delete a user account and related files
usermod (8)          - Modify a user account

HTH, YMMV, HAND

--
Linux represents a best-of-breed UNIX, that is trusted in mission
critical applications, and - due to it's open source code - has a long