Re: why so much hate?

Wayne Topa wrote:

>         Subject: why so much hate?
>         Date: Sun, Jul 18, 1999 at 10:09:40AM -0400

> Quoting altag@lycosmail.com(altag@lycosmail.com):
> > hi.
> > from Altag.
> > I can't figure out why Dselect package
> > ,loving debian so strong, is so antiquate and
> > really unfriendly.
> > from debian-developers really nothing better?
I have been using Linux off and on since 1992. You should have been
around when there was no dselect or even Debian for that matter, it was
really a hackers world then. I too disliked dselect when I first started
using it. Over the years it has shown marked improvement, contrary to
what many new users think. I have come to realize that the developers
were/are very wise about what dselect must do and how to perform that
task best. It MUST be able to function on a minimal system from a
consol, that may not be properly supported by the initial installation
when first installed. It MUST perform with the DETECTED available
hardware, when first installed, i.e it finds the drives and cdroms etc.
It does this correctly even though YOU do not even know what they are
called or how to mount them. I provides ALL the instructions to operate
it properly when it first starts. You DO have to READ them, ALL of them.
It provides all the necessary features to completely install a working
Operating System and to correct any screw ups YOU make. If you punch the
enter key after you already see that you have a problem, it is not THEIR
fault, it's YOURS. In fact the the only suggestion that I would make is
that they might put the Exit sequence from dselect to it's menu, on the
VERY FIRST page. The problem with most useres, newbies , is that they
are coming from a situation where they were not required to think before
doing something. That is not the case with ANY Unix or Unix clone. In
short I think that until the hardware itself becomes selfaware (scary
thought) we will have to do the best with what works well and think for
ourselves. This is not a rant at newbies. These are the real facts. I
still learn something EVERY day, and have problems, mostly of my own
doing. But my system has not CRASHED in 3 years while running Linux, but
about every other week when running Windows.
Best Wishes!
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems