Upgrading.

Hi,

I installed Debian Hamm in my computer three months ago. Recently, I
wanted to install a more recent version of the xscreensaver package, and
downloaded xscreensaver_3.10-1.deb from freshmeat.net. Before trying to
install it, I did dpkg --info xscreensaver_3.10-1.deb and got, among other
things,

 "Package: xscreensaver
  Version: 3.10-1
  Depends: lesstifg (>= 1:0.85.2), libc6 (>= 2.1), libpam0g,
	   xlib6g (>= 3.3.2.3a-2), xpm4g (>= 3.4j-0)
  Suggests: xdaliclock, xv, xscreensaver-gl, fortune"

The version of libc6 in my Hamm system is 2.0.7t-1, the version of
lesstifg is 1:0.83-7, and similarly all the other packages on which
xscreensaver depends, are present in my system only in older versions than
those needed by xscreensaver-3.10-1.

My question is this. Is it possible to download and install the current
versions of only those packages that xscreensaver-3.10-1 needs (i.e.,
lesstifg, libc6 etc.), without upgrading the entire system to Slink?

If it is indeed possible, this would be very good for me because my net
connection is very slow, so attempting a full upgrade over the net is a
very daunting prospect; also CD's are not easily available where I live.
Upgrading little by little, as and when needed, would be a great thing in
this situation. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Raghavendra.

N. Raghavendra, Mehta Research Institute, Chhatnag Road, Jhusi,
Allahabad 211 019, India.
Fax: 91-532-667576; Phone: 667511*2020