Re: why so much hate?

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Jeff Bachtel wrote:

> I'm inclined to believe that apt-get (and in fact most of the apt tools)
> are useful mainly script writers, and those trained on Red Hat. One of
> the reasons I still only show linux newbies how to use dselect, is that
> it is simply a matter of browsing the appropriate section or "/"
> searching for part of a package name, to find the appropriate package for
> installation or removal. If dselect was modified, so that "/" or a
> similar command would search package descriptions (preferably with a
> regexp), I don't think I'd be able to leave the house.

I use

apt-cache search <word>

now for most of my searching as it will display all the packages that
<word> appears in the package name OR the description:

apt-cache search kde

liblockdev0g-dev - Development library (libc6) for locking devices.
mico-2.2.6-examples - CORBA broker as used for KDE.  Mico Is COrba.
Example development

This displayed one package with the letters kde in the package name and
one that has to do with KDE (and it a few more shoed up that I cut out).