Re: 3rd Call for help - Lost network card after Potato Upgrade

On Sat, Jul 17, 1999 at 10:48:53PM -0700, Doug Thistlethwaite wrote:

> The error messages during the configureation of setserial said that my
> modules needed to be updated and to run
> "update-module force" and run configure again.  Well, I did this and the

These days the Debian way is to create your /etc/conf.modules by combining
the files found in /etc/modutils.  If you have an existing conf.modules that
was edited manually or maybe created by an older version of Debian it wants
you to think carefully before replacing it, hense the above messages.

> above listed fix and now my network card is no longer detected.  (Note:
> I noticed the problem after I rebooted the system so I am not sure
> exactly what is causing this.

If you made changes to your conf.modules file earlier to get your net card
working then they've been replaced.  Maybe it made a backup though so you
might want to look.

> I looked in my /var/log/kern.log file and found these differences before
>
> and after the reboot.
>
> *date systemname* kernel: ne.c No PCI cards found. use "io=0xNNN" values
>
> for ISA cards.

Ok, it's telling you that it didn't find any PCI network cards but if yours
is isa you'll have to specify the IO address manually, either as a kernel boot
parameter (if you have it compiled in) or in your conf.modules (if it's a
module.

> Prior to the problem (earlier in the file) I had the following:
>
> *date systemname* kernel: ne.c v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becher (*email
> address*)
> *date systemname* kernel: NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300 00 50 4e 03 8b
>
> d6
> *date systemname* kernel: eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300 using IRQ 3

Back in the old days (ie before you upgraded) you had specified the io
address of 0x300.

--
Ray