Server slowly dying

Hi,

we had a problem with our server today. First we could not log in ssh, then ftp
and mail (exim/qpopper) died and finally Apache. It took about an hour for all
these services to die. Since we couldn't log in ssh, and telnet is removed, we
could not monitor what was going on (the server is located outside our
premises). We had to have the server rebooted, but had to start Apache-ssl
manually after it was back up. Apache didn't resart on reboot.

Below I have pasted some entries from the syslog that seems to be repeated all
the time while this was going on (and maybe ealrier also).

Maybe someone could make something of this and help me find out whats going on?

Jul 17 00:03:06  kernel: ll_rw_block: device 08:05: only 1024-char
blocks implemented (4096)
Jul 17 00:03:06 last message repeated 15 times
Jul 17 00:04:15 ypbind[174]: broadcast: RPC: Timed out.

Also some of these showed up:

Jul 17 00:14:30 kernel: possible SYN flooding on port 80. Sending
cookies

This server is running Debian Slink with Apache-ssl and has been acting nicely
for a long time.

TIA

Regards,
Christian Dysthe