Re: Linux LAN probs - a shaggy dog story?

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 10:05:52PM -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote:
> No, its all cat5, some store bought, some homemade.
>
> -Aaron Solochek
>  leko@cmu.edu

Sounds like you've got problems with the wiring.  I can't believe the
number of times I've found problems with incorrectly wired 10BAseT
cables, put together by people who should know better.  I'd clip the
ends off the cables and redo them.  Make sure you've got one twisted
pair on pins 1&2, and one twisted pair on pins 3&6.  The pairs on
4&5 and 7&8 aren't used.  On a correctly wired cable, I've never
noticed electrical interference problems.  Most store-bought cables
I've used are wired incorrectly.

HTH,
Mike

[I'm subscribed to the list, no need to CC: me on replys.]
--
Michael Merten (ironfoot@popaccount.com)
          ---> NRA Life Member (http://www.nra.org)