Re: Linux LAN probs - a shaggy dog story?

I'm going to make a bold suggestion here, and that is that no one has had (or has) as
strange a lan problem as I.  But here's what I've learned so far.  When I was losing pings
on one of my machines it was a result of the cable running along a wall with electrical
cables.  Simply moving the network cable to the side fixed the problem.  As far as the NT
box goes, I don't trust the windows ping utility at all, so go by what the linux boxes are
telling you.  Also, if these are dual booting machines try booting them with a hard reboot
when entering linux.  I don't think this problem exists for the newer kernels, but I used
to need to to that on 2.0.  Make sure everything is in half duplex, even if your network
is setup in full, I'm pretty sure half will work on full, but not vice versa.

Btw, if you want to get involved in a nightmare, tell me why the only way I can get the
net connection to my room working is to use this ONE SPECIFIC CABLE COMBINATION!!  All the
cables are straight through and work everywhere else.  But for some reason, although I get
a link, no packets go through with anything other than short yellow in the basement and
big yellow up here.... ugh

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu