Server security statictics

Greeting,

I am running a slink server for http access and our campus has been
recently getting a lot of redhat boxes hacked. My question is, are there
any statistics on debian and/or redhat security breaches? I follow
comp.risks fairly regularly and haven't seen anything about this. Also,
has ther been any breach in ssh that anyone would know of?

The reason that I ask is that my campus ( not my current email address )
has decided to put the entire campus behind a firewall, and only allowing
http and a couple of other services through and I am attempting to
convince our sys admin that ssh is as safe as any other service.

Basically, I would like to find out about any security issues regarding
ssh and debian. TIA, your all very helpful, I have learned so much by just
reading this list.

Frisco Rose     REU Student
rosef@nemo.physics.ncsu.edu