Linux LAN probs - a shaggy dog story?

Hi all,

I have two working Linux boxes now.  cat has IP 10.0.0.1 and dog has
10.0.0.2.  When I reboot cat it can ping dog but reports over 50% losses.
Likewise dog and ping cat with close on 50% losses.

If I tru to telnet from dog to cat, I get the cat login prompt and then the
system freezes as I enter a username.

>From that point neither machine can ping the other.

I also have a NT box.  If I put it on instead of dog, cat can ping NTbox.
But NTbox cannot ping cat.  Request times out.

cat is my default gateway to the Internet, tho obviously is as useful as a
chocolate teapot right now.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

IDEA: is it an ipmasq problem?

Patrick

Wise Chinese Proverb:  "If tired of computer winning at chess, try it at
kick-boxing instead"