Re: Potato upgrade and Perl warnings...

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 04:20:49PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Michael Merten wrote:
>
> > I'm too paranoid to use apt-get upgrade...  at least with dselect you
> > actually get so see *which* packages are getting upgraded/removed/etc.
> > I can't see how blindly using apt-get upgrade can be safer.  Anyone
> > that trashes their system with dselect really should learn to pay a
> > bit more attention to what they do.  :)
>
> Try the '-u' and '-s' options for apt-get, they will show what it is going

I'll check that out, thanks.

> to do in a generally mode compact form than dselect does. Dselect doesn't
> actually tell you exctly what is going to happen, upgrades are done
> silently unless there is a hold..

Uh, I really think that's what the "Updated Standard packages",
"Updated Optional packages", etc sections of the select screen are for.
OTOH, I totally agree that dselect can be dangerous for anyone that
mistakenly skips the 'select' stage.  Perhaps it would be better if
'update' kicks you directly into 'select' instead of returning to
the menu.

Mike

[I'm subscribed to the list, no need to CC: me on replys.]

--
Michael Merten (ironfoot@popaccount.com)
          ---> NRA Life Member (http://www.nra.org)