Re: NetScape & bash paths

>> I've been having troubles with working on the configuration of my
connection
>> with the graphics side of things.  Can you help me out?  Basically, I
can't
>> get mail from my server and I'm having difficulties with installing
>> netscape.  Is there anything you can recommend I do?  Or should I check
in
>> different places for stuff?  Do you need more information?
>What problems are you having setting up netscape?  What mail program are
>you trying to get mail with and is your mail server a POP3 server?

Netscape setup fine using the ./ns-install command (at least it *said* it
did), and it created the default dir (/usr/local/netscape), and when I check
it, netscape's there.  My mail server is a POP3 server.  It's basically any
mail program I have.  I'm not sure how to configure it so that it checks my
mail properly.  I know how to config the smtp side of things, but not the
other.  Is there some command I should use?  Also, I'm running on a machine
connected to a network, but my hostname is different from my e-mail address.
Could that be part of the problem?

>snip<
>What version of debian are you running and what problems are you having
>installing it?
I am using slink.  I'm not having problems installing debian, it's netscape
that's the problem.

>To find what package you need for libXpm.so.4 do a dpkg -S
>libXpm.so.4 and that will tell you what package the file is in.  It looks
>like you're missing one of the X packages.
Sounds like it.

>Could be xlib6 or something like that.  If you're trying to install
Netscape 4.6 on a
>2.1 or below system, you'll have to get files from the potato distribution.
4.6 is
>based of glibc 2.1 I believe and a newer version of netscape-base.

I'm using netscape 4.6 on a slink (is that 2.1 or below?).  Should I be
upgrading?  with the apt command?

>> PATH="/the/path/I/want:other/paths/Iwant"
>> Does that add those paths to the current profile?  Or does it completely
>> change the PATH variable to the above, erasing the former PATH var?
>The above line will nuke your PATH variable and put
>"/the/path/I/want:other/paths/Iwant" as your PATH variable.  If you wish
>to keep your existing PATH variable and add to it, do thist:
>PATH="/the/path/I/want:other/paths/Iwant:$PATH" or something to that
>effect.  the $PATH can be put anywhere on that line.  The only thing it
>will efect is the order directories are searched in your path.
Thanks.  So the $PATH adds the above to my past one.  Which profiles file
does this change?  I tried looking at the /etc/profiles file and noticed it
was unchanged.