Re: preparing for first installation - which User's Guide?

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 03:06:55PM +0200, Drew Parsons wrote:
> I would have liked to install a stable version of potato (Debian 2.2), but
> the stable release seems to be delayed, so maybe it is better to stick with
> slink (Debian 2.1) for now, would you agree?

The current version of potato *is* unstable by definition.  (In fact,
if you FTP to ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/ and enter the command
`ls -l`, you will see that ``stable'' is a symbolic link to slink and
``unstable'' is a symbolic link to potato.)  I suggest that you install
slink.

Slink's only failing is that it might not have the latest version of
some software available for it.  Some of the sotware that you might
otherwise only be able for potato might be available via
http://www.freshmeat.org/, compiled for slink.  (Potato uses a newer
set of libraries.)

Good Luck,
David