Still have X problems, was Re: Compaq Presario 1245 Touchpad , interface problems

Thanks for everyone who supplied information on my problem. The touchpad
now works, but I still can't get an XF86Config file that will run the
screen in any mode higher than the "built-in" 320X220 resolution.

The strange thing about this, is that XF86Setup seems to be able to get
the hardware into a reasonably "high resolution" mode for its dialog box.
Also strange is that XF86Setup also resets the Xserver to VGA16 for the
setup, but doesn't set it back to SVGA when it is done.

During the setup phase, the "server" is tested with the information I
provided, and seems to come up fine. However, when I try to start the
server myself, it will fail completely with Xserver set to VGA16, and
insists on giving me 320X220 resolution when I set the Xserver back to
SVGA.

The closest I have gotten to a good reply came from the owner of a 1255
model. I suspect there is a minor difference between these machines, but I
can't figure out what it is.

Am I possibly using the wrong server?

Thanks in advance,

Dwarf