Re: modem configuration

Stephen Monroe writes:
> Using setserial I found
> IRQ: 3
> Port: 0x02f8

That's /dev/ttyS1.  You've got a serial port there, but why are you sure
your modem is on it?

When I boot to Win98 it says it's there. I assume it's the same for both partitions.

> then pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

You're sure you have a pnp modem?  It can't be jumpered for non-pnp?

My modem works in Windows and it's listed under ISA/PNP devices with IRQ 3.

Run pppconfig and try pon again.

I ran pppconfig and finally thought I was getting somewhere, however when I finished and then typed "pon" nothing happened (as before).

I have to modprobe ppp every time I reboot else pon says the kernel lacks support for ppp. Also, I have to change the port the modem is on using setserial (from 0x02f8 to 0x100) else it won't enable the modem.
Then i make sure isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf is running at startup.
These constant changes are cumbersome and indicate to me I'm doing something wrong. Does this info help?