Re: Palm Pilot Software

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 09:24:58AM -0400, Timothy Hospedales wrote:
> Hi,
> I was trying to get the pilot-manager and pilot-link packages to play with my
> new palm IIIx. But things seem to be fried due to the perl upgrade...?

You're using potato, aren't you?  The manner in which the Perl packages
are organized has been improved so that multiple versions of Perl can be
installed at the same time.  There will be a period of flux, while the
packages that depend on perl are updated.  They don't call it ``unstable''
for nothing!  :-)

If you can downgrade yourself to slink, all should be well.  If you need
something that is only available in potato, have patience.

>         I cant let it remove stuff that i need like wu-ftpd-academ etc. What
> does that have to do with perl anyway? But, point being, does anyone have any

It probably depends on perl, or depends on something that depends on
perl, or ... (you get the idea  :-)

> tips for getting around this mess, or have any other (Preferably debianized)
> software which wont conflict to suggest? (I played with Pyrite but it doesnt
> seem to do much beside back up the palm pilot)

If you are desperate, you could:
  Update to the most recent version of perl, allowing apt to remove
      any packages that cannot be upgraded to the point where they
      depend on perl5.
  Rebuild each of those packages with a dependancy on ``perl5''.

> PS: Which software do I need in order to beable to install downloaded 3rd party
> apps on the palm pilot?

Use pilot-xfer, from the pilot-link package.

Also, you may want to look at the documentation link under my signature.

David

--
David H. Silber  --   http://www.orbits.com/~dhs/   --   dhs@orbits.com

  For custom software, see:                http://www.SilberSoft.com/