Re: How to access mailserver

cc:d to debian-user, as this was originally posted to debian-devel

[snip]

> Detailed questions are:
> 1) How can I fetch my mails from the mailserver periodically,
>    say each 5 Minutes) and store them as local mail.
>   I thought fetchmail would do the job but it seems to
>   fetch mails only on user demand, right??
>   I would like to get the mails from the server sended as
>   mail and want the mails sended be deleted on the server.

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/ISP-Connectivity-3.html

describes in detail, but you can put fetchmail into a polling daemon mode to
check your pop3 mail every few minutes (or seconds)

so fetchmail is pretty much what you want to use for this

> 2) I wonder how far mailagent is better than procmail for
>   that purpose, because it tells that it has
>   "far more functionality than procmail" in the package
>   description.

AFAIK, procmail is used more for mail filtering once its been delivered,
something quite different

> 3) Are there any specials things to do or any special documents
>   to read to solve that problem?

I'd check out the url above, its part of the ISP connectivity mini-HOWTO

jeff

--
Jeff Bachtel  (NOC,CIS,TAMU)    http://www.cepheid.nu/~jeff
				[finger jeff@cepheid.nu for PGP key]