getty vs minicom

I have a debian 1.3.1 system on which I have a modem for
periodic remote access.  Dial-in has  worked nicely for some
time.  However I needed to check/reset the modem
configuration, so I fired up minicom (cu isn't my cup of tea,
and I've previously used minicom to do this, but not on this
system) only to have it tell me that the port was in use.

If I deactivate the getty, minicom is quite happy to talk to the
modem, which lead me to check minicom's port lock file
settings.

It makes no difference whether I set the lock directory to
/var/lock or /var/spool/uucp (this system doesn't have a
/var/spool/uucp/lock directory).

Any ideas? BTW, minicom is v1.75 and getty is v1.45a
(according to dselect), and minicom was installed from
the package distributed as part of bo.

Arising from the above, I went looking for the source to
getty (agetty actually), and was disappointed to find that
there appears to be no readily accessible copy of getty's
source.

"dpkg --search /sbin/getty" tells me that the package is
"base/getty".  If there is such a package, it doesn't exist
anywhere on the debian {web|ftp}site that I could find,
in either binary or source form.  This applies to slink as
well as bo (I went and looked at the archives as well).

Andrew MacIntyre                \ andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au
Planning & Licensing Branch      \ Tel: +61 2 6256 2812
Australian Broadcasting Authority \ Fax: +61 2 6253 3277