Re: Fax

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Phillip Deackes wrote:

> => On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Cuno Sonnemans wrote:
> =>
> => > Hi,
> => >
> => > I've installed efax, but I can only
> => > fax asci text.
>
> Faxing from Linux works very well, but there is a steep learning curve
> compared to the Windows apps like WinFAX.

hmm, learning curve?

i set up efax and was able to fax almost immediately. Is there anything
i forgot to learn?

> After a couple of years using
> Linux it has only been a few months since I cracked it.
>
> Basically, print from an application to a (postscript) file. Then enter
> the following:
>
> gs -q -sDEVICE=tiffg3 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=letter.%03d input.file.ps
> </dev/null (all on one line)
>
> Change 'input.file.ps' to whatever you called your printed file.
>
> Then:
>
> efax -d /dev/ttyS1 -o1 -t TXXXXXXXX letter.001

use fax script. It's doing all the conversion for you

fax <phone num> <ps file> works just fine for me

> Change XXXXXXX to the telephone number you wish to call. Change the
> serial port to match your own setup. You might need to make changes to
> the efax config file for your modem. I have to run this as root, so I
> add 'sudo' to the start.
>
> To print a fax:
>
> efix -ops -r600 -s1 <letter.001 | lpr -Pprint_queue_name
>
> I use r600 because my laser printer is capable of this resolution. YMMV.

you could probably save some toner using 300dpi resolution -
fax tiffg3 has something like 96dpi in normal and 192dpi in
fine resolution.

> If you use Applixware, I have a macro which will allow faxing directly
> from the app, just like with Windows.

same for lyx. If you install efax just rerun lyx configuration and
it will automatically detect fax capabilities

> Hope this helps.

OK