Re: Offtopic - Amiga and Linux join forces?

Brian Servis wrote:

> *- On 13 Jul, Keith G. Murphy wrote about "Re: Offtopic - Amiga and Linux join forces?"
> >

> > Brian Servis wrote:

[cut]
> >> They are not making another distribution.  They are just using the
> >> Linux kernel, most other things will be all Amiga, of course they will
> >> be bound by the GPL to release any improvements they make to the
> >> kernel.  Read the following for more info:
> >>
> >> http://www.amigactive.com/newsitems/11071999-lnx.html
> >>
> > Thanks for the link.  It explains a lot.  I would quibble, however, and
> > contend that this *is* yet another Linux distribution: it is a
> > distribution of an OS that includes the Linux kernel.  That's a Linux
> > distribution by definition, AFAIK.  Also, there's this:
> >
> > "Amiga assure us that the AmigaSoft Operating
> >  Environment will not be just another Linux distribution."
> >
> > Meaning, in usual speech, that it is *a* Linux distribution (not *just*
> > another, though).
> >
> > They're insane if they don't base it on Debian, considering the work
> > that's already been done on m68k machines.  I mean, the debs are there
> > and ready to be used, man!
> >

> I think you misunderstand, I am not an expert but it doesn't sound like
> they are going to use any of the userland tools, i.e. the stuff that
> makes Debian Debian or Redhat Redhat.  They are just going to use the
> kernel which is the interface between the software and the hardware and
> is completely independent of ANY 'distribution' that is run on top of
> it.  For that matter Microsoft could choose to use the Linux kernel and
> still have the same 'distribution' as they have now.

Well, in my view, that would be a Linux distribution.  (Also not being
an expert).  It wouldn't be a GNU/Linux distribution, though.  Let's not
go on that jihad here, though.  ;-)  At one time, Tom Christiansen was
talking about doing a distribution that was a Linux kernel with BSD
tools, rather than GNU.  IIRC, he called it a Linux distribution.  (I
think he was just doing it to irritate the FSF.  Is it still an extant
project?)

If the Amiga folks are not going to use any of the GNU tools, or
dpkg/apt especially, that would be a perverse decision.  In fact, not
making it based on/compatible with m68k Debian would be perverse, seems
to me.
--
... if the problem persists ... get  a  3.5  ft ... length of sucker rod
and have a chat with the user in question.