Re: smbmount, random timestamp

On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 01:04:51PM +0200, Gerhard Kroder wrote:
> found some strange behaviour of smbmount-2.2.x, is it me or is it smb?
>
> doing "smbmount-2.2.x '\\ntserver\user' user -U user -c 'mount
> /mnt/smb/user -u myname -g 0' "  mounts as expected,     but  touching a
> file in smbmounted dir gives random   timestamps instead of actual time
> =:-(
> looks like this:
> > ls -l
> > -rwxrwxr-x   1 gerdk    root            0 Dec  6  1985 test
> > -rwxrwxr-x   1 gerdk    root            0 Feb 25  1911 test2
> > -rwxrwxr-x   1 gerdk    root            0 Nov 30  1919 test3
> > -rwxrwxr-x   1 gerdk    root            0 Mar 12  1946 test4
>
> i run potato/2.2.9,  smbmount-2.2.x,  Version 2.0.4b; i'm able to verify
> this wron timestamps throug an other linux-box that uses smbmount v2.0.2,
> a WinNT-box shows also wrong but different timstamps on files above.
> touching from the oter linux-box works korrekt.
>
> what can i do?
>

>From linux-2.2.10-ac5/Documentation/filesystems/smbfs.txt :)
[...]
Mount-Time Options
Windows 95 has several bugs that affect SMB operations, and smbfs includes
work-arounds for all of the bugs found (so far, at least.) These can be
enabled at compile-time with the CONFIG_SMB_WIN95 kernel option.

Unfortunately, some of the Win 95 work-arounds interact with Win NT bugs,
so if you're using several different types of servers on your network you
probably want to enable the work-arounds at mount time. To do this, answer
`N' to the CONFIG_SMB_WIN95 option, and add the needed options listed below
to the file mode argument of the mount command for the Win 95 servers.

Option                  Value  Effect
Identify Win 95 Server    1    Enables bug fixes
Use Core Attributes       2    Speeds up directory scans, only mtime
Use Dir Attributes        4    Alternate way to get file attributes

To apply the options, sum the values and prepend it to the file mode. For
example, to use options 1 and 2 with file mode 755, you would specify 3755:

        mount /mnt/tmp -f 3755

Smbfs will print a message at mount time confirming the selected options.
Note that _only_ Windows 95 servers require special treatment; using the
"core attributes" option with Win NT will give trash timestamp values.

To summarize, if your network includes both Win 95 and NT servers:
(1) Do _not_ enable the CONFIG_SMB_WIN95 kernel option

(2) Add the desired work-around options to the mount command for your
    Win 95 server(s).
[...]

Mirek