More questions...

Hello again

I have a few more questions, but first I'd like to sincerely thank everyone
who took the time to reply to my last series of questions (the "Argh! I
think my last msg sent as HTML...." thread). It blew my mind when I was
getting replies to my questions within an hour or so of mailing them to the
list. Very cool indeed :)

The one problem is that due to all the answers I've received, I've become a
tad bit confused...I'm not worried anymore about getting Road Runner
working, and I'm pretty confident my system configuration is fine, but now
my problem is this: Which Debian version to use? I can't decide whether to
install from my Slink CDs then upgrade everything (speaking of which, I
tried to go to the netgod site to look at the X updates, but I couldn't
connect, and when I tried to go in Netscape, it asked for a password..), or
to download Potato and cross my fingers that I can get it to work.

I think it's suitable for me to elaborate a bit more on myself and what I
intend to use this machine for. I want to use this computer as a learning
tool. I want to learn as much about my computers and computer languages (I
have my eyes fixed on C, Python, and Perl at the moment) as possible. I
don't think I can get the best experience out of any Microsoft product,
since 1) everything is so %@#$ expensive, and 2) too much is  hidden from
you in MS OSes for me to really learn anything I don't already know.
Unfortunatly, I'm bound to using Windows 98 on this computer (I'm a bit of a
gameaholic), but the other computer is entirely open (the one I listed the
specs for in my last msg).

I am a Linux novice, even though I've installed several distributions
multiple times. I don't need a rock-solid-stable system, but I don't want
something that I have to fight with every day just to get it to work. I've
decided for sure I want to use Debian, as I like the free software ideas
quite a bit (both freedom AND free beer appeal to me, I must say :) ), and
my experience on the list yesterday re-enforced rumors I'd heard that the
Debian community is among the most helpful. I'm just not sure as to whether
I should use Slink to Potato, thats all. I'm on a cable modem, and I love
upgrading things (it's an odd fascination I have, but downloading things and
having everything up-to-date, even when I don't need it to be, is really fun
for me) so how much/how often I'd have to download updates isn't an issue.
Actually, if apt is as easy as I've heard it is, it could actually be a plus
that frequent updates come out.

If anyone can make sense out of everything I've typed, and could offer some
advice, I'd appreciate it.

Chris