Re[2]: sndconfig.rpm to .deb question

John Foster <jfoster@augustmail.com> wrote:

> Been there, done that! It segfaulted. I also tried adding libnewt.40
> from an alienized .rpm which seems to cure the problem, then I tried to
> run sndconfig, it segfaulted again. I believe that RH must have a
> glibc2.1 dependency in version 6 similar to potato.

That would be my guess. The system I did all this on was potato. I too have a
slink 'production' machine and I have not bothered to put a sound card on it
and have no plans to. I may upgrade it some day but not simply in order to get
sound! <g>

> Any other advice would be appreciated.

I know next to nothing about sound, which is why sndconfig was so helpful to
me. The advice, oft given, to see what resources a card uses in Windows, and
then try those, was bad advice indeed for me. It threw me WAY off. The main
thing I didn't have a clue about was how to edit isapnp.conf after I had
created it with pnpdump. That's what sndconfig did for me, so if you use
pnpdump, then maybe you could ask around for help with editing the isapnp.conf
file.

This all assumes that whatever support your card needs has been built into the
kernel and/or modules.

Good luck!

--
Bob Bernstein                http://members.home.net/ruptured-duck