XDM: root can log in, user can not

Hi,

I recently installed debian 2.0.  I also upgraded the X package to 3.3.3.1
from the X86Free site.  I commented out 'no-start-xdm' and added 'start-xdm'
in my /etc/X11/config file so that xdm would start.  It starts fine.  I can
log in as root and it works great.  However, if I try to log in as the
normal user I created, it seems to accept it.  The screen changes, but then
it kicks me back to the login screen.  The file /var/logs/xdm-errors has
messages that say:
AUDIT: Mon Jul 12 10:17:54 1999: 236 X: client 2 rejected from local host

What did I do wrong, or what do I have to change to give my user account
permission to log into xdm locally?

I searched the archives and any docs I could find but I just could not find
the answer.

Thanks,
Mark