Re: SCSI device names - no /dev/sg0

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Jason Carley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am now trying to get my scanner installed under linux and sane.  I have loaded the
> kernel module which promptly finds my scanner.  /proc/scsi/scsi reports it found.
> Only problem, I am used to linking /dev/scanner to /dev/sg0 (for SCSI device 0).
> There is no /dev/sg* on my slink system.  Where will I find the appropriate device?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Just to make sure you know, sg* stands for SCSI-generic.  Do you have
generic SCSI support compiled into your kernel?  Make sure it's not a
module unless you compiled support for your SCSI card as a module also or
the module will not be loaded in time to detect the scanner.  If all this
is true, does your SCSI card find the scanner at boot time in linux?  If
all you need it the sg* devices, you can make them with MAKEDEV in /dev
dir.  Look at a the script to see what target you need to give it to make
the sg* devices.

								Rob

ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1998-99
Aka Khyron the Backstabber : ICQ# 2325055
Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh

"Happiness comes in short spurts.  Don't be fooled."