Understanding apm on an intranet server

Hello!

Is there some walkthrough to configure apm to do everything to lower power
consumption (i.e. turn off hard drives, set the cpu to low power mode, switch
off the monitor, whatever else) even if I'm not using a laptop?

It could be interesting to have a server (e.g. a print server, or a local diald
masquerading connection manager, or an intranet web server, or both) that needs
not to be switched off after work time, but can use the least possible power
when inactive until maintenance time overnight, and sit sleeping again until
the first connection the next morning: what are all the exact things I need to
do for this?

How can I configure apm (I found no configuration files for it, except the two
empty suspend.d/resume.d directories in /etc/apm)?

Where do I disable writing --MARK-- lines in log files (that cause hard disks
activity and turn them on)?

What are slink's standard periodical events (e.g. mail checks) that I should
disable, or set not to be run beyond work time, or better, not to be be run
when the system is in low-power mode?

Is this last thing possible, and if it is, how?

And now, some more specific troubleshooting:

When going back and forth from X I get this message on console:

apm: set display ready: Unrecognized device ID

while, instead of a monitor switchoff after the usual 10 (?) minutes being
idle, I get this:

apm: set display standby: Unrecognized device ID

Why? What do they mean? Why isn't my monitor switched off and how can I
get it to do it? OTOH X's dpmi is working well.

Bye and TYA, Enrico

--
GPG public key available on finger -l zinie@cs.unibo.it