gnome-session/panel error

I've been using Gnome 1.0 and Enlightenment 0.15 from potato for several weeks
without any problems. Now, when I try to start panel, I get the following error
message:

**WARNING**: could not get name service
**ERROR**: file goad.c: line 606 (real_goad_server_activate): ASSERTION FAILED:
(name service != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
aborting

If I try to start panel again, it starts. I did ps -ax prior to trying panel the
first time and noticed gnome-name-service was not running. After trying to start
panel, gnome-name-service was running.

And, if I try to start X using gnome-session the computer just hangs. Seems to
be a gnome-session problem?

I tried uninstalling all of gnome and enlightenment with dselect and
reinstalling but had the same problems with gnome, though enlightenment starts
and runs fine.

Any ideas on the cause of these problems and/or am I wrong with the
uninstall/reinstall approach?

mike