Re: SGML problems

Hi,

* Matthew Guenther <mguenthe@netcom.ca> writes:

> ! LaTeX Error: File `linuxdoc-sgml.sty' not found.

On the commandline, try `texhash' (needs to be run as root), `kpsewhich
linuxdoc-sgml.sty', `locate linuxdoc-sgml.sty'.

`texhash' build teTeX´s filename database, `kpsewhich' locates it for
you *according to the database*, not the actual existant files.

Yeah, and locate tells you if you have it somewhere at all.  If you
have it somewhere, but kpsewhich doesn´t see it, then you need to
move the file into a valid texmf tree. A valid texmf tree is one
which is listed in /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf under TEXMFMAIN, TEXMFLOCAL
or HOMETEXMF. (You shouldn´t put your own files into TEXMFMAIN.)

Maybe you screwed your TeX, because I get:

  ashwork:~$ kpsewhich linuxdoc-sgml.sty
  /usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/misc/linuxdoc-sgml.sty

This is a plain tetex install from slink.

> Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
> or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

> Enter file name:
> ! Emergency stop.
> <read *>

> l.3 \usepackage
>                {qwertz}^^M

Try `kpsewhich qwertz.sty'.

> The strange thing (to me at least) is that sgmlcheck returns no errors, and
> sgml2html and sgml2lyx works fine.  I am hardly familiar with either sgml or

This is a genuine TeX problem.

Cheers,
  Colin

--