Slink, 2.2.10 and printing

So I decided to take the plunge and install a 2.2.x kernel (2.2.10),
under slink. Everything works fine, except for printing. I can't seem
to get the printer to work. lpr seems to work, but when I do an lpq I
get something like:

waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       22   tape-list                             968 bytes

The lp kernel module is loaded fine, but nothing happens. Is this
something I didn't compile properly in the kernel or do I need to
upgrade something in slink to get it to work?

I'm not sure where to look on this one so let me know if there's more
information I can provide.

Thanks,
Gary