Boot disks -- don't

Hi All,

Would anyone by any chance know what would make boot disks
stop working?

I've got several small hard drives that I plug into my
computer as /dev/hdd1 and have been playing with different
configurations and kernels. After testing some modems for a
friend, none of the boot disks that were created with either
"make zdisk" or "make bzdisk" work. Instead of the normal
dump and then after all the dots, the computer reboots.

Looks like this;

AX 0204
BX 0000
CX 0006
DX 0000 ..........................   (then reboots)

Luckily all the disks that were created during the initial
installation work - those that have syslink on them. All disks
created during the compiling of a kernel fail. I even tried
recompiling my slink/2.2.9 kernel and creating a new bzdisk,
but it failed also.

Evidently I changed something when I was testing the modems,
but I sure don't see what.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John Carline