'last' is slow

The 'last' command is incredibly slow on my Linux machine.
All logins from the same day appears without delay but the processing of
logins from other days take several seconds for each day to show.
The computer is a 486 with 24 MB where approx. 22 MB is used, but I
don't think it's lack of memory that is the problem. Even if you run
'last' several times after each other, it is still as slow as the first
time. How can I speed up 'last'?

Another question: How do I turn on 'lastb'-logs? The file /var/log/btmp
exists.

/Mattias