Re: Power failure

Patrick Kirk [patrick@kirks.net] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A fuse blew last night taking out the power supply to the server with my new
> debian linux installation.:-(
>
> On reboot this morning, the second NIC wasn't present so I had to modprobe
> /lib/...tulip.o, then ifconfig eth1, then route add, then ipfwadm -F -p deny
> and finally ipfwadm -F -a m -S 10.0.0.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0.
>
> All works now.  But what have I omitted to do so that the server does all
> this on reboot automatically?

1. If you compiled your kernel with kerneld, the module will be loaded
auto-magically. If not, add it to the list of modules to be loaded on boot
with 'modconf'.
2. Add the ifconfig command for eth1 at the end of /etc/init.d/network.
3. If you're running kernel 2.2.x, skip the 'route add', the kernel does the
routing on its own. If not, append the route statement to /etc/init.d/network
after the ifconfig for that interface.
4. Create a, let's say, 'ipmasq' script in /etc/init.d/ with all your
masquerading rules and insert it into the boot sequence (man update-rc.d will
tell you how).

I run potato but I suppose this should work w/ Slink too. If not, please adapt
it.

--
D.Damian