Re: RedHat 6.0 Root Remote Login

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 06:53:13PM +0200, Rudy Broersma wrote:
>
> > But in RedHat 6.0 this doesn't work at all... Now,,, anybody got any ideas?
>
> ssh?  su?  In general, there's no really good reason to log in as root
> directly other than on the console.

Theres lots of excellent reasons to want to do it though. Eg. I want to
copy a file to a dozen other Linux boxes and now I have to use scp which
is a lot slower than rcp. Recently I had to move 20GB's of data from one
machine to another - in the past, I'd have used rsh, dump & restore. Had
to use ssh which encrypted everything and ran really really slow. I was
not impressed when I found out that the powers that be behind Debian had
crippled this very usefull feature. There are worse security holes in
systems and I don't think that .rhosts in the /root directroy is one of
them.

Gordon