please help! gdk-errors - BadMatch

I really need help with this, all of the sunnder, after a brief stint
with xdm, I am getting errors when the windows are trying to open.
I get to the manual placement part, then when I click down it just goes
away.  The errors are the following.

For Eterm:

XError: Request 62.0, Error 8
Eterm: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Eterm: XError: Request 62.0, Error 8
Eterm: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

For xmms:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

aborting...

For GnomeICU:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

aborting...

I get similar errors  for netscape, although it still loads.  The  error
was that 0xffffff was out of the valid range for X_QueryColors.  If
anyone can help me with this you'll be saving me from a big reinstall
:)

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu