Re: Can not setup up mouse for xfree86 (new user)

> XF86Setup is a piece of crap from my experiences. First of all, you should
> make sure the hardware is for sure com1 and nothing else is trying to
> conflict. Obviously modems could interfere. If your bios definately says
> ``Serial #1 - IRQ 4'' or whatever, then that is settled. Second, do an ``ls
> -l m*'' in /dev to see what symbolic link `mouse' is hooked up to. Of course
> it should be /dev/ttyS0 -- since your mouse is IRQ4. Then if thats set,
> /etc/X11/XF86Config should have ``Microsoft'' as the mouse type under the
> mouse section and ``/dev/mouse'' as the device. Also GPM should be installed
> of course.
> If none of that works, then it is probably some hardware confliction or you
> don't have the serial enabled in the bios or something weird like that.
>
> -dan

GPM is more likely to cause the problem rather than to help the mouse
working. I deinstalled GPM because of problems I was getting in the
system.
Try running xf86config, and afterwards, if it doesnt work, check the
/proc/interrupts to see whether or not you get an IRQ conflict.

Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 Scorpio@hushmail.com
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu