Compaq Presario 1245 Touchpad interface problems

I just got the new laptop, and have been quite satisfied with it, except
when it comes to X...

The primary problem is that I must configure X for a serial mouse, because
I don't know what device and port to pick for the touchpad. Am I out of
luck, or is there a working choice available in XF86Setup?

While I'm at it, does anyone know how to get the graphics card into any
other mode but the "super low res"? I can only see about 10% of the
screen, and I can't scroll. Is this also the best I can do?

Please CC me, as I am not subscribed to this list.

TIA,

Dwarf