Re: compiling GNATS

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 11:59:55AM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:

> GNATS-3.110 (from unstable) is not compile-able on my (unstable) Debian
> maching. It contain code similar to this:

> FILE *outfile=stdout;

> gen-index.c:38: initializer element is not constant

> On a debian 1.3 machine it works, why ?

glibc2.1 is much less toleratn of non-standard behaviour from programs,
and one of the more common non-standard things is the use of standard
streams as constant initialisers.  Previous versions of libc and glibc
allowed this.

It looks like the bug has been fixed in the latest package - there is a
patch in bug report #38272.  From the changelog:

 gnats (3.110-2) unstable; urgency=low
 .
   * Tkgnats configuration fixed.
   * Applied patch by Kaz Sasayama to avoid file-pr segfaults; closes: #37229.
   * Applied patch by Konstantinos Margaritis to avoid stdout initialization
     problems on powerpc potato systems; closes: #38166, #38272.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/