Re: Just my opinion

All this reminds me of my printer & Ethernet card woes during the
weekend.  I decided that I was tired of using Linux with very limited
multimedia capabilities.  It seemed to reinforce the notion my
Windows friends have that Linus is for servers not workstations.

I bought a SoundBlaster PCI128 card and to get that to work I had to
upgrade from 2.0.36 which was working perfectly for months to 2.2.10.
 I downloaded the sources and compiled the kernel. I rebooted and
everything seemed to work fine, but I noticed that eth0 kept on
complaining.  After connecting my laptop to the hub I realized that
the Ethernet card in the Linux system was unhappy.  Not long
afterwards I saw that I couldn't print either.

The Ethernet card problem was easily solved.  A reboot to Windows
showed that Windows had somehow told it to use the wrong I/O address,
even though PnP is turned off.  The printer was more tricky.  It
worked fine under Windows.  After messing around with cables
documentation and stuff I decided to strace the daemon.  I saw it try
to talk to lp1 instead of lp0.  I looked at /etc/printcap and
realized that I had lp1 in there.  I read some more and saw that the
lp implementation has been changed quite a bit from the 2.0 to 2.2.
If I had lp0 in /etc/printcap none of this would have happened.

What's my point - getting a Linux system to work perfectly requires
patience and a lot of RTFM.  This is unlike Windows where some (but
not all) things will work with minimal user interaction.  But the
time I have spent making Linux work always pays off as it continues
working with no problems.  Till I touch it again ...

Now I am going home to figure out why IP forwarding has stopped
working with 2.2.

jmb