Re: Enter mail, end with a single ".".

Hello,

> >Rolf Edlund:
> >> Sometimes when trying to send mail, I get these message (sendmail -q -v):
Jiri Baum:
> >3) you do know that this is a server, and that user-friendly mail
> >programs exist, don't you?

Ralf G. R. Bergs:
> I think you don't get the point.
>
> He is trying to empty sendmail's queue, i.e. send pending messages to the
> receiver-MTA.

So he is. My mistake.

Why is the sending MTA attempting to send a blank message, then? (If that's
what it's trying to do?) May be an idea to check in its spool directory
whether the relevant message-ID is corrupt in some way.

> The above quoted message ("Enter mail") is a message that the receiver-MTA
> issues during the SMTP dialog. Obviously something went wrong, like the
> connection timed out.
>
> A typical dialog looks like this:
>
>   helo foobar

Shouldn't that be "helo my.host.com" ?

>   mail from<me@my.host.com>
>   rcpt to:<you@there.com>
>   data
>   <message>
>   .
>   quit
>
> The above message ("Enter mail") is being issued by the receiver-MTA after
> the "data" command has been issued.

Yup.

The variant "sock it to me  sock it to me  end with <nl>.<nl>" is rare.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently