Re: Huge hard disk...how to partition

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> My idea was to partition as follows:
>
> #1 ext2 /boot containing only the boot image ~ 100mb

I'd recommend putting all of / except for /usr, /var, and /home (and any
other nonstandard /dir) here. 100M should be fine for that; my system has
that setup (with /tmp symlinked /var/tmp) and is only using ~18M on /.

> #2 ntfs or vfat 4-5gb for windows
> #3 swap (128 -256mb) does 2.X support max swap size > 128mb now?

If you have a new version of mkswap and a 2.2 kernel, the limit seems to
be 2G... Read the kernel docs and the mkswap manpage for more info.

> #4 ext2 / rest of the disk (mount entire system here after image loads,
> then mount /boot)

Make partitions for /usr, /home, and /var as i mentioned above. You could
also make /usr/local a separate partition. You could also create extra
partitions or leave space unpartitioned for future use.

> Will this work? (I don't know if NT needs that the system partition be
> the FIRST partition)

Don't know about NT either...

> This is necessary to get the boot partition completly under 1024
> cylinder limit.

As has been mentioned, that limit _may_ not apply. See those messages for
more info, since i don't know much about that ;)