Re: Huge hard disk...how to partition

*- On  7 Jul, Kenneth Scharf wrote about "Huge hard disk...how to partition"
> I just got a new HD (17.2 gb) in preparation for upgrading my system to
> potatoe when it is released.  (I am also going to get a new DUAL PII mb
> now that REAL smp is in the kernel).
>
> My question is how to partition the disk.  I probably need to dual boot
> with windows 95 or NT (probably will use NT due to SMP HW) to be able
> to run some windows ap's that don't yet run under wine.

Have you looked at vmware.com?  Avoid the dual boot and run NT in a
virtual machine under linux.

> My idea was to partition as follows:
>
> #1 ext2 /boot containing only the boot image ~ 100mb
> #2 ntfs or vfat 4-5gb for windows
> #3 swap (128 -256mb) does 2.X support max swap size > 128mb now?
> #4 ext2 / rest of the disk (mount entire system here after image loads,
> then mount /boot)
>
> Will this work? (I don't know if NT needs that the system partition be
> the FIRST partition)
>
> This is necessary to get the boot partition completly under 1024
> cylinder limit.

You will get lots of input on this.  You didn't say if you are using
IDE or SCSI but if you are using IDE then I would stick your swap on
another disk on your second IDE channel(ide1).  If you are worried about
swap you could put the primary on ide1 and then have a secondary on
ide0.  I would also put /home and /usr/local on separate partitions.
That way if you ever need to reinstall the OS you will not loose your
personal stuff.

My 2bits.

--
Brian