Re: other news questions

Hello,

Nate:
> I have been following the thread about news, inn, nntpcache, etc.
>
> I would also like to set up a news server.  I currently have installed
> but have not configured inn and nntpcache.  I would like to have my setup
> mirror they way an isp would setup a news server.

I've been using leafnode, and it does all I want... From what I hear, it's
a lot easier to set up than inn (basically, you just point it at the server
you get your news from and that's it).

As for doing what an ISP would do: leafnode slots into the standard unix
news system, so it pretty much is that. As somebody observed, the news
system is pretty much like the mail system: MTA and MUA. Leafnode does the
"transport-agent" job (as does inn).

You'll also need a newsreader, be it tin (like I use), Netscape or
whatever. Just point it to get the news from the machine you have leafnode
on (or `localhost' if you only have one computer). Different users can use
different programs - it's all the same to leafnode.

> O ya, what is a newsfeed?

That's a server you get your news from.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently