Re: other news questions

On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 12:28:18AM -0700, Brendon Baumgartner wrote:

> So an ISP uses inn, but do they use nntpcache? What does it do exactly? I
> understand it caches, but how, what rules, etc? Well, I'll be setting up
> some kind of news system, not sure what yet ....

As you're probably about to discover a news server can very easily find
itself under a very heavy load, a large portion of which can come from
clients.  One way to reduce this load is to place a cache like nntpcache
between the real news server and the clients.  That way the load of
managing the client connection is removed from the sever, and the server
only needs to serve up each group once.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/