Re: Just my opinion

On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 07:28:57AM -0400, Ipswitch wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, John Galt wrote:
>
> > > come to this conclusion:  Debian is free because it's WORTHLESS!  It
> > > won't drive your printer, it won't detect your modem, the documentation
> > > is incomplete, out of date, or simply wrong, and the installation
> > > procedure has more bugs than a Southeast Asian streetlight. Whatever the
> > > advantages of a Linux-type OS may be, no one with a life has the hundreds
> > > of hours obviously required to make this clunker run.
> > >        Just my humble opinion. -- Max Albert
>

> I could say this about some other OSes that you have to pay money for. :-)
>
> This guy is lucky he didn't try something really hard like Solaris.
>
> If anything, Debian makes it too easy. :-)
>
> I'd like to see a description somewhere of what is done when installing
> various packages.

I'd settle for a complete log of all output from the install process,
maybe in /var/log/dpkg.log or such.  Something that you can browse
through after a lengthy install to see if you missed anything that
needs further configuring.  (If this is already done, could somebody
point me to it?)

Mike

--
Michael Merten <ironfoot@popaccount.com>