Unable to start X11

Help!
I recently installed Debian GNU/Linux on my machine.
I've installed all the packages related with X11, and managed to successfully configure XFree86.
The thing is, whenever i attempt to run startx the following message appears:
Fatal server error: no valid modes found
X1TransSocketUnixConnect: Can't Connect:errno=111.
giving up.
xinit:connection refused (errno=111):unable to conncet Xserver
xinit:No such process (errno=3):Server error

I've already tried different monitor configurations, the error message slightly changed, but the outcome was the same.
Agian,
help!!!
Artur Correia :-(